Cycling is a mode of transportation that is gaining popularity around the world. More and more cities and politicians are supporting cycling and infrastructure. Cycling in the city provides many benefits such as a healthy lifestyle, exercise, contributing less to CO2, social outings and many more. Join the movement and start cycling today. Here are a few tips on how to get started:
The Beginner’s Guide to Cycling:
- Get a Bike! New or Used! there are plenty of bike shops that cater to your own needs in the city.
- Ride a bike that fits
- Make sure your bike is safe to ride. Consulting with your local bike mechanic is the best bet before you try your bike on a pathway or the street.
- Be familiar with the laws and regulations of the City of Calgary. Check out Bike Calgary’s Information!
- Make sure to buy the proper equipment before you start riding. Make sure to invest in a good Bike Light, Helmet and Bell.
- Don’t wear headphones! It is safe to be aware of your surroundings.
- Put lights on your bike: If you’re riding at night, you need lights for both the front and back of your bike. It is required by the City of Calgary to
- Wear a helmet
- Be responsible, be an ambassador and have fun!
- Download the City of Calgary’s How to Guide: Here
The City of Calgary – Cycling Education Videos
The City of Calgary – Roadway Laws & Etiquette